The Reporter E-Letter
Our e-newsletter, The Reporter, is an e-newsletter full of helpful articles, tips, and tools for legal professionals.
Also available are articles from The Discovery Update, featuring articles that shape the law itself and its practice. We address a broad range of discovery topics such as: the latest e-discovery news, copyright laws, unpublished opinions, discovery rules, employment law, evidence, expert witnesses, deposition practices, handling of exhibits, and many, many more.
Reprints: We encourage you to contact the author directly for permission to use or distribute their articles, or you may also link to materials on our website. Please send an e-mail to the editor for permission to do so.
Click here for past issues of The Reporter.
Click on the categories below to view in-depth articles on each topic or search articles by term.
ABI History and Products/Services
Career Management/Personal Achievement
- Top Tips for Getting Along with Colleagues in your Law Firm
- Thirty Days to Success
- Do You Truly Give 100 Percent at Work?
- The Happiness Avoidance Problem: You Sure Do Know What You Don’t Want
- How to Introduce Yourself to Others at a Business, Social, or Networking Event
- Being an Achiever
- Tips to Stay on Track and Reach Your Goals
- How to Identify Your Weaknesses
- How to Stay Motivated During the Hot Summer Months
- Six Things that Will Renew Your Enthusiasm and Motivation at Work
- Comfortable with Uncomfortable
- Nine Ways Smart Admins Nurture New Ideas
- Benefits of Joining a Professional Organization
- The One Who Changes EVERYTHING. It Could Be You.
- Goodbye Comfort Zone – I Bid You Farewell
- Career and Commitment
- 10 Smart Best Practices for the New (and Seasoned) Administrative Professional
- Why Am I the One Who Has to Find the File?
- How to Build a Strong Work Ethic
- Become More Emotionally Intelligent in 2014
- 25 Questions to Ask Yourself in 2014
- Spotlight: National Association for Legal Professionals
- Technology Is Making the Role of a Legal Secretary More Secure Than Ever Before
- Do Work and Life Ever Balance?
- Eight Work Traits of a Successful Secretary
- How to Be Irreplaceable in a Tough Economy
- Improving Profile and Visability
- Being Aware of Unhelpful Thinking Tendencies
- How to Motivate Yourself
- Challenging Negative Self-Talk
- Clear Your Mind
- Achieving Personal Objectives
- In Search of the Rest of Your Career
- Big Time Small Town: Creating a Road Map to Success
- How Productive Will You Be in 2012?
- Why Did I Become a Paralegal?
- The Value of a Paralegal Degree
- Steps to Being a Successful Legal Secretary
- 10 Tips for Setting Work Goals
- New Year’s Resolutions – How Planning Can Make A Difference!
- Four Reasons Why Legal Professionals Succeed (or Fail)
- Where’s the Glamour?
- Developing Proactivity
- The Distinguished Profession
- If I Knew I Couldn’t Fail
- How to Find Meaning in Your Work
- When to Say No to Your Dream Job
- The Importance of Setting and Achieving Goals
- A Chicago Paralegal’s Rewards and Challenges in Litigation
- Why Can’t Electronic Reporting Replace Steno Reporters?
- In Defense of Court Reporters
- Making the Record
- Risk of Rewards
- Judges and Litigators Explain Why They Prefer Realtime Reporters to Recording Devices
- Calif. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger Not Getting all the Facts
- Legal Translation – Why Faster isn’t Always Better
- Stenographer Makes Case for Rewards of Court Jobs
- A Low Tech Advantage in a High Tech World
- The e-Discovery Sanctions Cube
- Computer Forensics Challenges
- E-discovery Pitfalls and Practice Tips
- Video Depositions
- Captioning the Super Bowl
- How to Stay Healthy and Fit at Work
- Proud to Be a Legal Secretary
- From Pearl Harbor to Legal Secretary
- A Legal Secretary Tale
- Introducing Doris T. Compton, NALS New Presidentle
- Court Reporters Help Record Veterans’ Stories
- Capturing the Spoken Word and Each Other’s Hearts
- And the Survey Says … (A Look into the Evolving Role of the Legal Secretary)
- Introducing Helene L. Wood, PP, PLS-SC, TSC-RE, NALS 2012-2013 President
- Woman Lawyers as World Leaders
- A Mature Paralegal’s Story in Today’s Legal Market
- Reporting the Michael Jackson Trial – Part One
- Reporting the Michael Jackson Trial – Part Two
- Heroes in the Field: The Story of Glenda Cook
- A Legal Secretary in England – Half a Century Ago
- After 58 Years, Las Vegas Court Reporter Sees No Good Reason to Give Up Her Pen
- Still Organic and Customer Service Savvy After 22 Years
- Empowering Communities: One Man’s Legacy in Community Lawyering
- How My Legal Experience Changed Lives
- A Legal Secretary’s Pioneering Spirit
- You’ve Been Hacked!
- An Interview with Ralph Losey
- Text Message Preservation
- What’s Hot in E-Discovery?
- Social Media & Internet Investigations
- Ten Things That Trouble Judges About E-Discovery
- Ediscovery, My How You’ve Grown
- Top Ten e-Discovery Issues
- Using an iPad to Recreate a Scene in a Deposition
- Tangled: Taking the Knots Out of E-Mail Threads and Near Duplicates
- Electronic Data Discovery for Everybody
- Three Ways an Expert Witness Can Save Firms
- The Choreography of Trial Preparation
- Simple Technology in Litigation
- Discovery in Civil Litigation Cases: Top Ten Tips
- Are You Vetting?
Relationships in the Workplace
- Workplace Bullying
- People Skills, Professionalism and Protocol Important for Career Success and Advancement
- Mentoring: A Practical Way to Pay It Forward
- Social Media Etiquette: Five Ways to Be Appropriate at Work
- Seven Delegation Tips for Administrative Assistants
- Five Powerhouse Strategies for Creating Administrative Peer Power
- 6 Ways to “Show a Little Love” in the Workplace…without flirting with your coworkers
- Ten Ways to Encourage Others in the Workplace
- Identifying & Ending Workplace Bullying Gains Momentum
- Can You Hear Me Now? Five Tips for Effective Client Communication
- Ten Tips for Dealing with Difficult People at Work
- Work Got You Down? Three Ways to Stay Positive in the Office
- I’m a Survivor – Maintaining a Positive Attitude
- Managing Conflict in Meetings or Presentations
- Are You Assertive?
- Teamwork and the Changing Role of Legal Secretaries
- Attributes of Excellent Client Services
- Does Your Attorney Suffer From Technophobia?
- Converting Self-Criticism to Compassionate Support
- Interpersonal Communication
- Listen While You Work
- Confident Body Language
- Are Good Manners a Requirement for Business Success?
- Developing a Positive Attitude
- The Paralegal’s Greatest Asset is the Legal Secretary
- Working Well as a Team
- Who Put the Voo in the Vuvuzelahs? and Other Questions Your Boss Might Ask
- Working With The Players: Witnesses, Judges, Clerks, Bailiffs & Expert Witnesses
Scheduling Depositions/Court Filings
- Best Practices for File Naming: Keeping Track of Legal Documents
- Seven Microsoft Word Hacks Every Legal Professional Should Know
- Six Quick Soft Skill Tips for the Office Professional
- What do Lawyers Want from Their Legal Secretaries and PAs?
- Three Stages to Problem Solving for Administrative and Executive Assistants
- Optimum Customer Service Skills
- Document Management – Practice Good Time Management and Organization Techniques
- Do You Have a Good Telephone Manner?
- How To – Skills Building Session
- Letiquette – Netiquette
- Tools for the Sustainable Law Office
- A Shoutout to Paralegals
- Why Worrying Well is Good for You
- Overcoming Procrastination
- Methods of Backing Up Work
- 10 Unknown Google Tips
- Fight the Battle Against Clutter
- Embracing the Technological Age of Document Management
- Staying Productive When You’re Unmotivated – 4 Tips
- Minimizing Interruptions
- Staying Productive When You’re Unmotivated
- Minute Taking
- How to Effectively Handle Privileged Emails