The ABI Reporter E-Letter
The ABI Reporter E-Letter is our e-letter for court reporters. It includes articles, helpful tools, tips, and resources. Topics range from technical tips to time management, as well as stories about fellow reporters sharing the joys and demands of freelance reporting.
Many of these topics are broadly applicable to all business persons, not just reporters, and we hope that they assist you in your own endeavors.
If you would like to suggest a topic for an upcoming newsletter or to submit your own articles, please feel free to contact the editor. For permission to reprint articles from these newsletters or to link to materials on our website, please send an e-mail to the editor.
Click here for past issues of The ABI Reporter E-Letter.
Click on the categories below to view in-depth articles on each topic or search articles by term.
Career Management/Personal Achievement
Court Reporters – as a Profession
- The Challenges of Court Reporting
- Friendly Reminders for Reporters
- Widening the Highway
- Whose Side are We On?
- Is There a Shortage of Court Reporters?
- Reporting in the Internet Age
- Competition and Quality of Service
- Judges and Litigators Explain Why They Prefer Realtime Reporters to Recording Devices
- Calif. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger Not Getting all the Facts
- The Heroes of Last-Minute Depositions
- What Clients Are Saying About ABI Reporters
- What’s a CRR Anyway?
- Dickens: From Court Reporter to Novelist
- Saunders Case Decision
- More Free Time … Samantha’s Story
- ABI Reporter Spotlight with June Cochrane
- Capturing the Spoken Word and Each Other’s Hearts
- Heroes in the Field: The Story of Glenda Cook
- Reporter Spotlight: Sharon Campbell
- Wichitan Reveals How He Invented Closed Captioning
- The Adventures of an American Court Reporter in Japan
- After 58 Years, Las Vegas Court Reporter Sees No Good Reason to Give Up Her Pen
- 360 Words Per Minute World Record Holder Shares Methods
- The Court Reporter’s Brain: “A Miracle”
- Who Says Long Distance Relationships Don’t Work?
Professional Habits/Training/Improving Skills and Self
- Seven Microsoft Word Hacks Every Legal Professional Should Know
- Why Enter the Speed Contest?
- The Transcript as the Attorney’s Tool
- What Realtime Means to Me
- Everything Old is New Again … Well, Sort of
- Business Tips for Freelancers
- 15 Tools to Put You in the Winner’s Circle
- Is the Customer Always Right?
- Simplify and Accelerate Your Transcript Production
- Tips to Improve Your Stamina
- Tips for Synchronizing Time Stamping on Transcripts with Videos
- Skilled for Success
- Can You Hear Me Now? Five Tips for Effective Client Communication
- High Speed Chase
- Being Aware of Unhelpful Thinking Tendencies
- How to Motivate Yourself
- Attributes of Excellent Client Services
- Challenging Negative Self-Talk
- Overcoming Procrastination
- Interpersonal Communication
- Confident Body Language
- Methods of Backing Up Work
- 10 Unknown Google Tips
- Using an iPad to Recreate a Scene in a Deposition
- Want Transcripts Delivered to a Smartphone at No Charge? No Problem.
- Organizational Tips for Your Home Office
- Flipping the Switch … How to Turn off Your Business and Turn On Your Life
- But I’m Not a Morning Person
- Are You an Information Front-Seater or Back-Seater?
- VIDEO: The Two Pillars of Magnum Steno
- VIDEO: Speed without Briefs
- VIDEO: Short Writing
- Reporter Preference Sheet for Working with Scopists
- Hire a Scopist and Earn More Money
- Finding the Perfect Match – Getting the best scopist for the least effort!
- My “Secret” for Better Realtime
- Realtime Competition Got You Nervous? You Got This!
- Realtime Success
- Improve the Quality of Your Audio
- Realtime Reporter’s Toolbox – Part 2
- Interactive Realtime 301
- Realtime Reporter’s Toolbox – Part 1
- Interactive Realtime 201
- Interactive Realtime 101
- Realtime in the Classroom
- The Importance of Continuing Education
- Time Management: Be the Reporter Who Can Be Counted On
- Preventing Burnout
- Tips and Ideas on Business and Managing Stress
- Creating Time and Increasing Profits
- Nine Ways for Court Reporters to Relieve Stress
- Relaxation Exercise: The Inner Smile
- Timesavers and Tips
- Why Punctuality Matters
- Doing Things Carefully
- Are You Too Efficient To Be Effective?
- Realistic “To-Do” Lists
- Managing Your Time to Accomplish More
- Making More for Your Time