- 0 Comments
“Hope for the best and prepare for the worst” is an axiom that pertains to successfully troubleshooting realtime hookups. Preparations begin and end with a complete “Realtime Reporter’s Toolbox” with the necessary tools of the trade. Do not be swayed to think you will never encounter a problem. It is not if a problem will happen, but merely a matter of time until a problem does occur. So be prepared. Maintaining your toolbox will ensure successful troubleshooting as well as giving you additional peace of mind.
Reporters are faced with a decision in the modern-day interactive realtime environment: using cables versus being wireless. In Part One, we cover the Cabled Realtime Toolbox. Next, in Part Two, the Wireless Realtime Toolbox is addressed.
Cabled Realtime Toolbox
- Multiple USB-to-serial adapters with drivers
- Best to have these drivers on a thumb drive as some computers do not have CD drives
- Long extension cord
- Electrical adapters (available at any hardware store)
- Grounding plug (two-prong to three-prong)
- Three-prong to two-prong adapter
- Power strip/surge protector
- Extension cord
- Safety strip/tape to cover electrical cords
- Realtime software for counsel to load on their computer
- Extra computers to use as Receive Laptops
- Netbooks work best as they are compact, light, and inexpensive.
- Extra cable from writer to CAT Laptop
- Extra Digital Sharing Device/Multi-line block
- Extra cable for feed from CAT Laptop to Digital Sharing Device/Multi-line block
- Extra cables from Digital Sharing Device/Multi-line block to Receive Laptops
- Reporter thumb drive containing:
- Free version of Interactive Realtime Viewer (in unzipped format)
- Driver for your USB-to-serial adapter
- Driver for StenoCast (if used)
- Attorney thumb drives (have two or more)
- Realtime Viewer software in unzipped format (to run the Realtime Viewer off of thumb drive)
If traveling internationally:
- Power adapters for country
- Extra power supply for CAT Laptop
This information is contained in the Realtime Systems Administrator Manual that is provided to the attendees of the Realtime Systems Administrator Workshop that is held at both the NCRA Midyear Conference and the NCRA Annual Convention. For more information about the Realtime Systems Administrator Certificate Program please go here.
Originally posted on NCRA’s Tech Tracker