- 0 Comments
A mobile version of Atkinson-Baker’s reporter website (ARS) is now available in a form specifically for use with smartphones.
If you open ARS (https://abias.com/ars) with any popular smartphone, the phone will be directed to the mobile site (https://abias.com/ars/m/). This mobile website is designed for devices that have tall, narrow screens and are touch operated. The regular version of ARS is still available and best for use from desktop computers and tablets.
Here are instructions for different smartphone operating systems:
In iOS 6 and 7 this is called “Add to home screen”.
- Go to the web site or web app that you wish to add to the home screen. In this case, https://abias.com/ars/m/
- Tap the Share icon (bottom of screen, middle).
- Tap the Add to Home Screen icon.
- Give the icon a short name.
- Tap “Add” (upper right of screen).
- You will be taken back to the home screen where your new website icon is located.
See http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/44908/ios-add-website-shortcut-to-home-screen/ for a good article on this process.
In Windows Phone this is called “pin to start”.
- Go to the web site or web app that you wish to pin to the start screen. In this case,https://abias.com/ars/m/
- Tap the menu ellipses (three dots in lower right corner).
- Tap “pin to start”.
- You will be taken back to the start screen where the new website tile is located.
There is a good article on pin-to-start at http://www.wingadgetnews.com/pin-website-start-screen/ and more data at http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/settings-and-personalization/pin-apps-to-start.
For Android devices this is called “pin to home screen.” The procedure varies based on what kind of browser is being used.
- Using either the default Android Browser, or Google Chrome, go to the website or web app that you want to pin to the start screen. In this case, https://abias.com/ars/m/
- Hit the menu button, and add the page to your bookmarks. In Chrome, just tap on the star and follow the prompt.
- Open you bookmarks using the menu button, and find the new bookmark you’ve just added. Press down and hold on the bookmark until you see an action menu. Select “Add to home screen.”
- The bookmark is now pinned to the home screen for quick access.
There is a good article on pinning websites to the Android home screen at http://mobile-pixels.com/pin-webapp-website-android-homescreen/ , and much of the above description is taken from that page.